Recently, Many Windows users are reporting that the Windows search is not working. Means, the Windows Search shows the blank box. And the search itself isn’t working. The issue is occurring because of Microsoft’s recent efforts to integrate cloud services in Windows 10. According to some Reddit users, the issue persists even after rebuilding the Windows search index.
Well, Microsoft is aware of the issue. And, Microsoft said – “This issue has been resolved for most users. If the issue still persists in your PC, then restart it.” Though, they also said that the issue isn’t fully resolved. A Reddit user found that the issue is related to Bing. And, By disabling Microsoft Bing integration in the Windows search, the problem can be resolved. And, for that, you have to play with Windows Registry.
Solutions to fix – Windows Search shows Blank Box.
1.) Do end search process using Task Manager.
Before disabling bing integration using Registry Editor. First, I suggest you try this solution suggested by Microsoft. For many users restarting Windows is enough. But, if it doesn’t work, then you have to end two search processes.
1. Press CTRL + Shift + Esc to open Task Manager. Select the Details tab.
2. Now, look for SearchUI.exe or SearchApp.exe process and end it.
3. Restart Windows. (Not necessary.)
That’s it. Hopefully, the Windows search will start working again. If not then the next solution will definitely work. Because that solution worked for me. You can also end the Cortana process. (Task Manager > Processes.)
2.) Disable Microsoft Bing integration in Windows Search.
Well, this is a partial solution. Means, with this solution local search will work, like Apps, document. But, the web search will not work, because we are disabling Bing integration. Which is responsible for web search. Though, you can enable Bing Search later, when the issue gets fully resolved. We are going to use Regedit. So, I recommend you to create a backup of Registry. And, follow all steps correctly, don’t make any extra changes by yourself.
Microsoft has included an easy way to disable Bing integration and Cortana. All you need to do is create a new registry inside the Search folder.
1. Open Windows Run window by pressing Windows + R key. Type “Regedit” in it and press enter to open Windows Registry. UAC window will appear, click on Yes.
2. To create a backup of the registry, click on File > Export.
In Export Registry File Window, select All in Export range. Type the file name “Registry” and then click on Save. (Save on Desktop.)
3. Now, navigate to the following path.
4. On the right pane of the RegEdit window, Do Right-Click to bring up the menu. Then, choose New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
Enter BingSearchEnabled in the new value.
5. To disable Bing Search, double-click on the new BingSearchEnabled that you have created. And, make sure value data is 0. (0 means disable and 1 mean enable.)
Click on OK to Continue.
6. In the same RegEdit window, look for “CortanaConsent“. Double-Click on the CortanaConsent value, and, change value data to 0. And, click on OK.
That’s it, Bing Web Search and Cortana integration is now disabled. Restart your Windows, and you will able to perform local searches. That’s how you can fix Windows Search shows blank box issue. Have you tried, new Windows 10 immersive Search yet? Check out my article on it.